Buick Car Club of Australia

The Buick Car Club of Australia, Victoria aims to encourage interest in Buick automobiles of any year, assist members with the restoration and maintenance of their Buicks and create an environment whereby members and their families can share their enthusiasm socially.

Membership of the Club is open to any person interested in Buick automobiles. Ownership of a Buick is not essential.

The Club publishes a journal, "BUICK BANNER",which is distributed to members monthly.

The Club is an approved club and is authorised by Vicroads to issue permits under the Club Permit Scheme. Vehicles over twenty - five years of age are able to participate in the Permit Scheme which enables use on public roads without full vehicle registration. A revised scheme commenced on 1 February 2011. This scheme enables permit holders to use their vehicles on public roads for either 45 or 90 days (at the permit holder's option) without restriction as to the purpose of use e.g club or private.

Membership of a Vicroads authorised club is essential in obtaining a permit.

Left hand drive vehicles are eligible for the club permit scheme.

The Club holds a general meeting of members on the 2nd Thursday of each month of the year and holds an event /outing at least once per month.

The Club, in association with sister clubs in New South Wales, Queensland and Western Australia is involved in the holding of a National Buick Meet every two years.

The Club is a member of the Association of Motoring Clubs ( AOMC) and the Federation of Veteran, Vintage and Classic Vehicle Clubs.

Please take time and browse the Club's web site and remember,

"When better automobiles are built, Buick will build them"

Latest News - August 19, 2018

Last Sunday Club members visited the third largest collection of Minerva cars in the world.Minerva was the Roman goddess of wisdom, medicine, commerce, handicrafts, poetry, the arts in general, and later, war. In many ways similar to the Greek goddess Athena, she had important temples in Rome.Minerva cars were built in Belgium from 1902 to 1938 and were on a par with Rolls Royce for quality of engineering and finish. From 1908 onwards, Minerva cars used sleeve valve engines, under licence from Charles Knight, who invented and patented the double sleeve valve engine.Sleeve valve engines were also used in aircraft including the Hawker Typhoon and the Focke- Wulf 190 fighter aircraft of WW11. Bill and Dianne made us very welcome, to their home, garage and factory. We were amazed to see a collection of rare Minerva cars ranging from 1904 to 1932.The collection contains about 15 vehicles and includes: A 1904 Minervette, single cylinder, being one of only eight known to exist in the world. A 1925 four, cylinder sedan, with a fabric body and which has travelled 55,000 kms from new.A 1932 eight, cylinder sedan, formerly owned by the Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.A 1930 Cadillac, V16, seven, seater sedan.Dianne invited us to view a collection of magnificent Asian Artefacts, which includes carved ivory. We wish to thank Bill and Dianne for their hospitality.Following the viewing of the collection we had lunch at the Wheelers Hill Hotel. Bad weather did not deter attendance and we had an extremely, pleasant day!